The majority of carriage stock is comprised of 5-compartment, bogie lavatory composites together with their matching passenger brake vans. These were made by Carette for sale by Bassett-Lowke from 1907 to 1917 and by Marklin, for sale by Gamages from around 1910.
Generally, these coaches reflect standard mainline passenger practice at that period. Corridor trains had been introduced as early as 1889 but were uncommon on British railways before the 1920’s.
Carette ceased trading in 1917 and in 1921 their products were replaced in The Bassett-Lowke catalogues by a series of side-corridor coaches made by Bing. Unfortunately, these coaches were somewhat over scale and they do not fit comfortably into the carriage rakes of earlier vintage.
GNR Full brake van by Marklin 1910.
Length over buffers 16.5” Priced at 7/- in 1911
In the author's opinion the Marklin version is the more convincing, both in panelling and colour. It was also a half inch longer and one shilling cheaper than the Carette equivalent!
GNR Full brake van by Carette from the 1909 series.
Length over buffers 16” Priced at 8/- in 1911
Marklin Midland carriages 1910. The two leading vehicles are provided with opening doors; a variation not offered by Bassett-Lowke in their range of Gauge one composite coaches by Carette.
Carette for Bassett-Lowke GWR clerestory composite first manufactured in 1907.
A Carette coach manufactured for sale on the Continent. The dark red livery was an invention to allow it to be sold in a number of countries without being specific about an actual railway company. The insignia “GC & Co.N” relates to the manufacturer: George Carette & Co., Nuremburg,
Midland passenger brake van by Marklin 1910. Both the Bassett-Lowke and Marklin series of composite coaches were accompanied by matching passenger full brakes.
A close up of the GWR coach which clearly illustrates the accuracy of the lithography applied by Carette to Bassett-Lowke rolling stock. The German manufacturer worked to specifications provided by Bassett-Lowke and Henry Greenly.
This close up of the continental coach reveals the fully fitted interior which was not provided (in Gauge 1 at least) in the British liveried models. Also of note are the opening doors which are hinged to the right. All British stock was hinged to the left.
LMS 12-Wheel Dining Car. This Northampton- made carriage was produced in the mid 1920’s by George Winteringham for sale by Bassett-Lowke. Originally part of the ‘Carette 1909’ series (when it was finished in L&NWR livery), the original tooling was acquired by Winteringham after the demise of Carette. It is a smooth runner and is in scale proportion to the other Carette stock of pre-First War origin.
Carette Travelling Post Office
Made for Bassett-Lowke from 1909, this interesting vehicle with its’ working pick-up apparatus, was clearly much appreciated by the Edwardian railway modeller.
At the end of the WW1 when Carette ceased trading, the tooling for this coach was acquired by Winteringham whose entire output was marketed by Bassett-Lowke. It continued to be made (in LMS livery) right to the end of Gauge 1 tinplate production. In consequence, this is a very easy model to find, both in LNWR and LMS livery.
DUCK END RAILWAY